Monday, March 11, 2013

How Our Only Came to be: A Background


My husband Scot and I have one son named Brodie.  He is our pride and joy; our ONE and ONLY pride and joy.  Here is a bit of history of how our only child came to be.  Brodie was yanked into this world at 8:52 pm on August 3, 2005.  When I say yanked, I mean 2 doctors practically did CPR on my upper abdomen to pull him out forcefully via c-section.  Fast forward a week through the hell of recovering from the surgery, and I began suffering from severe postpartum depression(I was put on medication for a few months).  My pregnancy and Brodie's first year were HELL, to put it mildly.  Before having Brodie, I wanted four children... in the first year after Brodie, that number dwindled to 2.  I wanted at least 2 children so Brodie would have a "playmate."  Well, in February of 2007, I became pregnant again.  Much to my dismay (at the time), that one ended as my 1st pregnancy had... as a miscarriage.  I was devastated.   I couldn't figure out why this was happening to me.  But, after the D & C, I had the attitude of everything happens for a reason.  At the time, I just couldn't figure out the reason.  I played around with the notion that maybe having the miscarriage was for the best and maybe we were only meant to have one child.  Have I mentioned that my husband and I have NO patience and slight anger problems?  One example of this is... when we were driving home from the hospital, Brodie was screaming and ScReAmInG.  Scot didn't tell me until some time later that that was the moment when HE decided he only wanted one child.  I sometimes feel bad that Brodie only has us to play with at home.  One day, recently, I asked him, "Would you want a brother or sister?"  He told me that he would.  My response was, "Well, you would have to share your toys with him/her and we wouldn't be able to go on as many trips, like to Disneyland.  So, would you want a brother or sister?"  His response was an immediate, "NO!"  Until next time!!!
Brodie (now 7 years old) on his 1st hike to the Vernal Falls Footbridge in Yosemite

No comments:

Post a Comment